THE CAVALIER- SSB / NDA / CDS / CAPF / AFCAT / ACC / COAST GUARD / X&Y GROUP COACHING
PROGRESSIVE GROUP TASK (PGT)
• This is first outdoor task. You must be very attentive during the briefing
given by the G.T.O.
• Remember that outdoor tasks in SSB are NOT about PHYSICAL
STRENGTH, it is all about your MENTAL ABILITY.
• PGT has four stage task, one after the other which are progressive in
their degree of difficulty.
· In this task there are total of four tasks arranged one after the other with the degree of difficulty increasing successively.
· The task is explained to the candidates by the GTO and the rules to be followed are also told and explained.
· To do the task the group is provided with some helping material which are generally
one wooden plank (phatta)
one wooden pole (balli)
and a rope.
One load is also given which is not heavy but needs to be carried with care.
· The group has to start from the start line and reach the finish line of each task as a group without
touching the ground in between.
· There are a number of wooden structures spread between the start and finish line. Their placement is
spread laterally and in depth in echelons. The candidates are to use these structures with the help of
helping materials and cross over to the finish line to complete the task.
What is expected
· Ability of the candidate to comprehend the problem and make best use of the helping material to
complete the tasks stage by stage.
· Is the candidate helpful and cooperative.
· Is he contributing towards the common group goal.
· Ability to communicate in fluid environment.
· Does the candidate have adequate mental and physical stamina to handle stress.
· Ability of the candidate to emerge as a leader of a leaderless group. click here
1. There are some rules to be followed, such as the ground between the
start and finish line is out of bounds other rules are:-
(a) GROUP RULE
(b) RULE OF DISTANCE
(c) RULE OF INFINITY
(d) RULE OF RIGIDITY
(e) RULE OF COLOUR
• Following above rules the candidates have to complete the task in a
specific time frame
(a) The idea is to find the fastest route, as a group, over the obstacles
fixed on ground between the start and finish line.
• For performing the task some helping material are given like
WOODDEN PLANK (PHATTA), WOODDEN POLE (BALLI) and
ROPE. A load is also given which has to be carefully carried by the
group collectively while doing the task.
• The group may also be given a ONE TIME MOVABLE DRUM OR
The time given for this is usually 40-45 minutes depending on the G.T.O and also based on the difficulty of the task. When one task is finished the group has to move to the next Task. So the group has to finish the tasks at a stretch.
No leader is nominated and the whole group is allowed to participate in this. The person who is having analyzing capability, who is able to apply his basic physics (such as fulcrum, cantilever) in real life, would feel comfortable to finish these tasks. Also he will be able to show his leadership qualities
The obstacles are painted in three colors namely:-
White:- The candidate ,the load and the helping materials can touch the
obstacle at this region.
Blue:- Only the candidate can touch the obstacle in this region and not
the helping materials and the load.
Red:- The candidate, the load and helping material should not touch the
obstacles in this region
Important Tips For P.G.T:-
a) Never look at the G.T.O while doing the tasks.
b) Understand the structures in front of you and see how best you can use it
to your advantage
c) Give workable ideas to the group if you don’t have any idea just help the
idea given by others.
d) Avoid violating the rules during the tasks, and in case you violate the rule,
just do correction yourself.
e) Always be an active participant in the group and be cooperative
f) Consider others ideas if they are better than yours.